Sunday Times Books LIVE Community Sign up

Login to Sunday Times Books LIVE

Forgotten password?

Forgotten your password?

Enter your username or email address and we'll send you reset instructions

Sunday Times Books LIVE

Sihle Khumalo

@ Sunday Times Books LIVE

Welcome to Sihle Khumalo’s Blog

Sihle KhumaloWelcome onto my blog where, I hope, we will be able to share wonderful, incredible, good and bad stories about Africa. Definitely not a dark continent*, although, I have to concede, sometimes she is dusty. Very dusty.

The fact is, it just cannot get any better than Africa – the cradle of mankind. Something of a motto for this blog. Feel at home… you are most welcome.

* PS – You’re invited to notify me at sihle.khumalo@webmail.co.za if you still think Africa is a drak continent. Or, even better, leave a comment on my blog: here’s how.

Recent comments:

• <a href="http://richarddenooy.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Richard de Nooy</a>
    Richard de Nooy
    September 18th, 2007 @10:58 #

Welcome, Sihle. Although I don't claim any expertise on the current depth of Africa's darkness, I will say that the continent is still running the world's worst marketing campaign. The slogan "Death, Disease, Destitution - Africa is D-lightful!" just isn't cutting the mustard. I'm sure we can come up with something better. I'll start by reading your book. Is it available to us folks outside the Cradle of Mankind yet?

Bottom
  • <a href="http://www.umuzi-randomhouse.co.za" rel="nofollow">Sakhiwo</a>
    Sakhiwo
    September 19th, 2007 @12:33 #

I also think the continent is dark and will continue to be until we have well educated, ungreedy leaders.The future looks very bleak in Africa even in our own country we have the president who wants to run for the third time and a messed up minister of health people I think a lot of work needs to be done in order to make our continent bright.

Bottom
  • <a href="http://zukiswawanner.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Zukiswa Wanner</a>
    Zukiswa Wanner
    September 21st, 2007 @11:10 #

Hi Sihle, I'd really like to read your book ASAP. But I think it's about time we as Afrikans start loving ourselves & be able to laugh at ourselves coz that's what makes us unique to the rest of the world. Instead we are mentally colonized by Europeans from how we view beauty to what we perceive as education.
    Yes it's not all rosy in Africa but my continent is not the dark continent, it's one of the liveliest and colourful and vibrant continents I've travelled. Rich in culture and traditions.
    We just need to change the mindset, maybe "death, disease and destitution" will be delightfully diminished!

Bottom
  • <a href="http://sihlekhumalo.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Sihle</a>
    Sihle
    September 21st, 2007 @12:03 #

Hi Zukiswa, Sakhiwo and Richard

One of the main challenges facing this wonderful continent called Africa is public image. Yes, I do concede that there are other challenges like lack of infrasctructure, political instability, poverty etc.. However Africa, as a continent, has a lot to offer. It is rather unfortunate that mainstream media has focussed on the negative side and totally ignored the posistive and human stories emanating from this craddle of mankind.

It is our responsibility, I believe, as Africans to actively and consciously spread the good news whilst - at the same time - engaging in whatever legally possible means to ensure that we have credible leaders and not these dictators who are making us a laughing stock of the rest of the world.
    Sihle

Bottom
  • <a href="http://alexsmith.book.co.za/" rel="nofollow">Alex Smith</a>
    Alex Smith
    September 21st, 2007 @14:03 #

Being a die-hard ingera addict, I still can't believe you didn't enjoy the Ethiopian ingera -- when you're in Cape Town, you must try them at Addis on Church Street. Anyway, it's great to see you round here.I look forward to reading your blog and your book.

Bottom
  • <a href="http://hedmekania.blogspot.com" rel="nofollow">Travis</a>
    Travis
    October 9th, 2008 @12:43 #

Howzit Sihle,

I have a bone to pick with you - your book has kept me up till all hours of the night, and my wife is getting pretty pissed off I'm finding it so hard to get up in the morning.

Couldn't you just have written a mediocre tale of stereotypically traumatic experiences of Africa like all the other good little writers out there? No, you had to go and write a funny, enlightening and absorbing read which turned much of the boogeyman tales on their head.

I ask you.

In any case, I had a bit of a 'No way!' moment when I came across your mention of the Flux Festival. I was one of the organisers of that sadly-missed jol. Glad you enjoyed it.

Keep up the good work.

Travis Lyle

Bottom

Please register or log in to comment

» View comments as a forum thread and add tags in BOOK Chat